Thursday, January 10, 2013

Favorite Things: Book Shelves

You have to love the internet (and pinterest) for all the wonderful ideas floating around. So, here are some of my favorite ways to display books:

Rain Gutter Bookshelves


I've seen this idea in a few places, and since my brother owns a business installing seamless rain-gutters, I have these two in the living room. They are 4-5 feet long each, and sit about 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 feet from the floor. My sons also have a longer rain-gutter bookshelf in their room (about 8-9 feet long, and about 3 feet up). I've been rearranging everything, so my 3 year old daughter helped me re-add books for the picture. Hence these are some of her favorites. I wonder how many times my husband and I have read Goodnight Moon?

After I find the living room again, I will rotate picture books on the bottom shelf, and rotate biographies, living science, living math, history, etc. along the top. This is a great spot to highlight library books or any good books that are gathering dust!

The "Red" Basket



I've not seen this exact usage online, but I'm sure many have used this type of thing. I have seen morning baskets, and that's where I took this idea. This basket has our before bed read-aloud choices.

My husband doesn't read as often as I do, so he has the book Fifty Famous People by James Baldwin (I do recommend the Yesterday's Classics versions, as they are retyped and not just messy scans - I happened to score a hardback at the used bookstore). Usually we have a picture book as well (like Saint George and the Dragon or Winnie-The-Pooh), but I am trying to finish up Adam of the Road, so I'll add a picture book (probably Beatrix Potter) after that. The other book is one of my favorites: The Hobbit.

Next year I am going to attempt to wrap up the chapter books in November, and leave December free for advent and Christmas reading. We had a rather long break from our read-aloud books last month. Poor Adam has been stranded in the middle of winter at the de Lisle house, where he's not really wanted! (No worries, he's headed to Oxford now to find Nick, his dog. And yes, I read ahead because I couldn't wait to get to the end!) And Bilbo, Thorin and company have left Lake Town and just found the back door (but not the key hole!).

The Book Flipper


From another homeschooler, who blogged about her system here. This is actually where my 3 year old daughter's books belong. When I finish moving everything, it will go back on our little end table, in easy reach. I had considered this for the kids' schoolbooks, but most of our books are too thick, and we don't use many workbooks. I would like to get a second dish rack for the boys' Seeking Sammy books (kind of like Where's Waldo?, but funnier.. or weirder).

This has been a fun post for me to write. Writing a LOT more is one of my goals, so I hope to make many more posts this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment